[Desktop_architects] GDB - more detail

Dan Kegel dank06 at kegel.com
Thu Jun 21 16:43:45 PDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Miller, Marc <marc.miller at amd.com> wrote:
> One of the recommendations from DAM4 was that since GDB is broken, it might
> be better to switch over to Eclipse, which contains a better debugger.

That sounds confused.  I was in the development tools meeting,
and I think the consensus was that Visual Studio-era
users want a good IDE, and the only open source IDE with serious
momentum is Eclipse, so we should start looking at making that work
well for LSB development.
I don't think we were talking about switching away
from gdb under the hood; as far as I know, the Eclipse CDT uses gdb,
and that's ok.

> AMD's GCC compiler team said that since debugging is a combination of GCC
> output and the GDB debugger itself, it would be helpful to have some
> examples where GDB seems to break down.

Yes.  Well, for starters, there's
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&product=CDT&content=gdb
and, for that matter, the 1200 open bugs at
http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=gdb

I guess what I'm saying is "let's give both Eclipse CDT and gdb itself
some love".
- Dan