[Desktop_architects] GDB - more detail

Dan Kegel dank06 at kegel.com
Sat Jun 23 13:26:59 PDT 2007

On 6/23/07, Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> wrote:
> > meeting, and I think the consensus was that Visual Studio-era
> > users want a good IDE, and the only open source IDE with
> > serious momentum is Eclipse,
>
> Sorry, but this is arrogant nonsense.
>
> Of course there are other open source IDEs which have also a lot of serious
> momentum. It is insulting for other projects to deny this to them.
>
> E.g. award winning kdevelop
> http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=awards.html is very advanced and
> very activly developed. It has important features which are missing from
> eclipse and is very seriously developed and used. Even though kdevelop is
> shipped as an rpm for many distribution is has a download of about 25
> tarballs/hour..
>
> I agree that Eclipse has more industrie backing in the US and has more mind
> share. But this does not make other efforts less serious.

I didn't mean to say that other efforts were not serious.  Clearly
there are many other very serious IDEs out there.
By "serious momentum" I meant "enough momentum to
possibly unseat Visual Studio", which is a much higher bar.

According to an Evans Data study, Eclipse has two million users,
and is second only to Visual Studio; see
http://linuxgazette.net/130/dyckoff.html and
http://www.crn.com/software/193700624.  EDC is quoted as saying
"More of a community than a planned and deliberately architected IDE,
Eclipse is the juggernaut that is taking the development world by storm ...
Eclipse is the most popular Java IDE right now and is well on its way to
becoming one of the most popular IDEs for any language."

More evidence that Eclipse has a robust
ecosystem of third-party plugins/extensions,
can be found by counting search engine hits
for [name of ide] ide third-party plugins.
Results:

visual studio: 400,000
eclipse: 145,000
netbeans: 51,000
vim: 51,000
emacs 49,000
kdevelop 11,000

So while I apologize for any percieved slight, the numbers are
what they are, and eclipse does seem like the horse to ride.
- Dan