[Desktop_architects] [Announce] "Common Desktop Infrastructure" 0.1.0 is released

Kay Ramme Kay.Ramme at Sun.COM
Fri Feb 22 00:20:19 PST 2008

Hi Tiago,

Tiago Vignatti wrote:

> One major change happened not so long ago (I think 1.0 version was
> released in 2007) was the migration from Xlib to a new low-level
> implementation of the X protocol in C, the XCB [0] which provides a
> foundation for toolkits to build upon. Probably none of the biggest
> toolkits use XCB.

The XCB stuff is actually an interesting read ... especially the
comments regarding synchronous reads in xlib and how to avoid that.
Anybody ever started Firefox or OOo over a slow connection, redirecting
to a local x-server likely knows how all these latencies sum up ;-)

             Kay

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH           Kay Ramme
Sachsenfeld 4                   Senior Technical Architect
http://www.sun.com/staroffice   mailto:Kay.Ramme at sun.com
http://www.sun.com/openoffice
http://udk.openoffice.org
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer