[Desktop_architects] 2008 LF Desktop workgroup meeting minutes - 2/27

John Walicki walicki at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 27 11:09:49 PST 2008

LF Desktop Linux Workgroup Conference Call - Minutes 2/27
======
Attendees : Ira McDonald, Don Hardaway, Alan Clark, Kurt Taylor, John
Walicki, Steve Harris, George Kraft, Dan Kohn, Russell Harrison, Ram
Krishna, Dave Neary,

- Linux Foundation DAM-5 Agenda review
John, Alan Clark, Guy Lunardi, Brady Anderson and the LF team have been
working on the DAM-5 agenda.   John reviewed the draft agenda :
https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Desktop_April_Summit_2008_Agenda

Feedback
   - Add Mandriva to the Distro panel - John to search for a Mandriva
contact?
   - Don Hardaway suggested that we talk about Barriers to Adoption /
Cultural Inhibitors to the deployment of Linux on the Desktop.  We agreed
to pose that question to the Linux Distro panel, the OEM panel and at the
Case Study talks.
   - Desktop / Kernel discussion should include peripheral device driver
support
   - Alan/John will post a question to the mailing list asking for
feedback on any gaps in the agenda that attendees would find important to
discuss
   - Integrate some of the Gnome Mobile discussion into the Wednesday
afternoon agenda - Introduce Dave Neary to Brian Cameron and Chris
Schlaeger

- Linux Foundation DAM-5 Invitees
   - The LF Collaboration Summit DAM-5 invitation was sent to ~150 invited

desktop architects.  If you want to attend but didn't get an invitation,
make the case to the DAM organizing committee (John/Alan/Brady)

Dan asked John/Alan to post in the lf_desktop mailing list with an
invitation to get an invitation.
Register early

   - The LF has a modest travel fund to bring the right Desktop Architect
attendees to Austin.  Send travel funding requests to the DAM organizing
committee.  We'll collect the requests, make recommendations to the LF
executive committee.   If you require an formal invitation for Visa
approval to travel to the United States for the LF Collaboration Summit,
send a request to lyn at linux-foundation.org

- DAM-5 Lightening Talks
    - John has created a DAM-5 presentation template
    - Todo : Send it to the Lightening Talk presenters (John)

Ram suggested that Test Automation be added to the Lightening talks

Next meeting is on 2/12

======  Reminders  ======
The Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit will be April 8 - 10, 2008. The
format will  be similar to last year: April 8th will be a general day with

panels and general discussion and the inclusion of press and analysts.
Days two and three will hold workgroup meetings (such as DAM, LSB, CGL,
etc) and collaboration sessions.
https://www.linux-foundation.org/events/collaboration

-  2008 LF Desktop Linux workgroup meetings
DTL workgroup conference calls are scheduled at 1pm Eastern Time
Wednesdays on the
following dates.   Dan has posted this information to the LF Calendar.
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LF_Public_Calendar

Number: 1-877-346-9707
Passcode: 55586

Wednesday February 27th, 2008  13:00 EST
Wednesday March 12th, 2008  13:00 EDT  (note switch to Daylight Savings,
still 1pm Eastern but different UT)
Wednesday March 26th, 2008  13:00 EDT
Skip April 9th because we'll all be together for the Desktop Architects
Meeting #5 meeting in Austin TX
Wednesday April 23th, 2008  13:00 EDT
Wednesday May 07th, 2008  13:00 EDT
Wednesday May 21th, 2008  13:00 EDT