[Desktop_architects] Desktop Linux marketing slogans

Mike Shaver shaver at mozilla.org
Thu Jan 17 18:56:26 PST 2008

On 17-Jan-08, at 4:26 PM, John Walicki wrote:

> Ken VanDine wrote on 01/17/2008 03:29:49 PM:
>

>> "Open Source Makes Sense"
>> On Jan 17, 2008 2:18 PM, Ken VanDine <ken at vandine.org> wrote:
>> I agree, this is a good place to start.  Perhaps we should avoid the
>> "Choice" word there to avoid the being construed as related to
>> abortion... such a touchy topic.  So I like "Got options?"

I don't have much to add on that issue, other than to note that I
don't think that we at Mozilla have ever had any problems with people
confusing our "choice and innovation" message with one that takes a
stand on abortion rights.

I _do_, though, think that attention to this part of the notes would
be well-rewarded:

> John and others (Alan?) talked about their OLPC XO experiences both
> from
> observing their children and from the enthusiastic curiosity it
> receives
> from adults.  It's the unique user experience (not that its running
> Linux)
> that draws kids and people in.  Its a great example of a Linux desktop
> being the right technology to facilitate that user experience.

Apple's ads (and, in most cases, products) succeed because they focus
on the quality of experience.  A wise co-worker with a decade of Linux
experience said that "open source" is the "less filling" that follows
"tastes great", and I think that focusing on what you can *do* with
Linux that you can't do without it will be the most fruitful course.

Mike