[Desktop_architects] RE: [Lf_desktop] LF Desktop Linux Workgroup Conference Call - Minutes1/16

Scott Preece sepreece at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 08:48:48 PST 2008

Hi,

I think "Choice, freedom, and community mean very little to most users" is missing
an important qualification - most people do care deeply about choice, freedom, and
community, they just don't think about the software they use as being the source of
a community important to them or to choice and freedom (in the particular sense that
the FLOSS community uses "freedom") as being important even to their software
choice, which isn't that important to them to begin with. They don't see computing
as about technology or software, but as about what they want to do (often in
support of communities they care about).

However, even so, having a *commercial* choice may be important to them - price
does resonate with people who don't care about the technology or the philosophy
of the people who make and sell the software they use.

I also think this goes to my previous note about message and market - different
markets care about different things. Individuals largely are driven by the cost/benefit
equation within the realm of software and systems that can meet there needs, in
an off-the-shelf choice. The option of modifying or paying someone to modify their
software isn't on the table. And people have a wide range of interests and
activities that drive that decision. In selling to individuals it's important to hit on
price and ability to use existing hardware, but it's even more important to *show* them
the range of weird and specialized activities that you can find Linux-compatible
software to support. Business users are much more about interoperability, support
costs, availability of bundled packages, etc., and may be more open to hiring for
support and for extending software to meet specialized needs.

regards,
scott