[Desktop_architects] RE: [Lf_desktop] LF Desktop Linux Workgroup Conference Call - Minutes1/16

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 21 12:13:18 PST 2008

On Friday 18 January 2008, Dave Neary wrote:
> > How does "freedom" or "community" speak to those folks in a concrete
> > way? I don't think it does.

as Dave points out, that's only because we've been stupidly bad at
communicating the benefits of freedom. we've allowed some proponents to not
only present the academic / philosophical ideas, but we've allowed them to
*dominate* that conversation. that is easy to change.

> When I talk about messaging around freedom & community, this is exactly
> what I'm talking about. Let's take back "free" as our word, in the "23
> immutable laws" sense, since we are, after all, the Free computer system.

absolutely. it's also key that of all the things that differentiates us, it is
this freedom that is alone unassailable (sp?) by our competition without
opening up and essentially joining in. (hello, OpenSolaris)

this makes it a compelling USP as it's one we can rely on being there in
several years time, unlike, say "stability" or "cost".

Linus noted in an interview recently that it's the open (free) style of
development that ensure the Linux kernel will continue to outpace and
out-innovate anyone over the long haul. yes, that's a very technical benefit
(there are other many more general audience ones, including Dave's
contributions), but it gives a really good flavour for the idea imho.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se