[Lf_desktop] Re: [Desktop_architects] Desktop Linuxmarketingslogans

Daisuke Kameda daisuke at kde.gr.jp
Thu Jan 24 03:55:33 PST 2008

Thilo Pfennig is wrote:
> We still have what i would call the "desktop dilemma", which is that
> desktop environments like to brand their desktops, while they are not
> offering them directly (besides downloading source code and live
> images). This is as if Microsoft would not offer Windows. So KDE and
> GNOME are brands that cant be bought directly. But if this is the case,
> does it make any sense to promote them? And if the answer here is still
> yes: What does that mean to marketing? Maybe AIDA principle
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDA) is a bit outdated but still I think
> the point where people get interested and they want something like a
> Linux computer or a KDE desktop and to the point where they get what
> they want must be made more easy. Today if people want a Linux desktop
> its still not easy for them to get it. I don't think its all the options
> that make it hard to decide - rather people would choose what is most
> easy - if there is an offer for a Linux desktop that seems reasonable,
> people would buy, like they just do with Dells offers or the EeePc.

If the users of the Linux desktop increase,
I think that various projects and PC vendor can cooperate.
So, "desktop dilemma" becomes weak.

Now, what men/women are those who regard using
the Linux desktop as more happy than using Windows and Mac?

IMHO, they are those who regard Windows and Mac as constrained,
and don't need to use  Windows nor Mac.
They are not those who think that Windows and Mac are high cost.

It is because almost desktop users don't want to separate
from the familiar environment even if the price is low.

So, I feel that the "Be Free" slogan of KDE4, which I saw
Aaron's blog
(http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/01/kde4-be-free-campaign.html),
is good

--