[Desktop_architects] LWE -SF 2008

John Cherry cherrypits at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 08:56:40 PST 2008

Hi all,

I have volunteered to chair the desktop track at LinuxWorld Expo 2008
this year.  The focus of the desktop track definitely leans toward IT
and deploying Linux desktops (including thin client) in the enterprise.
However, all indications show that the consumer market for desktop Linux
will be heating up in 2008 as well.  This would be a great forum for the
desktop architects to describe the state of the Linux desktop and to
present technical advancements and coming attractions in the desktop
community.

The call for papers has just gone out.  There are also opportunities for
tutorials, which would be 3 hour workshops and would require attendee
workbooks.  Tutorials would be a great place for more in-depth info and
demonstrations on migration, deployment, system management, desktop
virtualization, etc.

DEADLINE TO SUBMIT SPEAKER APPLICATION: February 22nd 2008

Submit proposal(s) here:
http://emessaging.vertexcommunication.com/ct/3232688:1253911269:m:3:22259009:180658DF90E14117F4DB76CE0DE93D7F

The following is the track description that I will be using for the track.

Desktop Track Description: Does the Linux Desktop make sense for your
business?  Is your business ready to reap the benefits and handle the
freedoms associated with an open source desktop?   What is your Linux
Desktop deployment criteria?  In the Desktop Linux track, we will look
at the state of the Linux desktop, whether it be for regular desktop
clients, laptops/tablets, thin clients, or even mobile desktops.
Exciting advancements have placed the Linux desktop as a viable
alternative for almost any desktop use in both homogeneous and
heterogeneous computing environments.

Again, this is your chance for fame and glory.   Contact me directly if
you have any questions or if you have ideas or comments for the desktop
track at LWE.

Cheers,
John