[Desktop_architects] [Announce] "Common Desktop Infrastructure" 0.1.0 is released

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sun Mar 2 05:48:37 PST 2008

On út 12. února 2008, Daisuke Kameda wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Daisuke Kameda is wrote:
> > We have released "Common Desktop Infrastructure" 0.1.0 under LGPL
> > version3. http://www.smg.co.jp/opensource/CommonDesktopInfrastructure/
> > http://www.smg.co.jp/opensource/CommonDesktopInfrastructure/products/comm
> >ondesktop-0.1.0.tar.gz
>
> I have made the presentation material about the vision of Common
> Desktop Infrastructure. And I have made the architecture design
> document.
>
> I want Portland project to adopt this infrastructure in the future
> version of DAPI.

 As far as DAPI goes, the current state of it is that it is dormant
(read:practically dead). I'd love to be proven wrong, but as the person who
wrote DAPI and received next to zero useful feedback on it I think I can say
that.

 And, given that Portland project itself appears to be dormant too, I think
you'll be better off not expecting it to somehow magically help you. when it
apparently doesn't have the manpower to even take care of itself.

> I want to also discuss about the specification of GNOME, KDE/Qt,
> Mozilla, OpenOffice, and D-BUS, because I notice that there is
> the obstacles to mutual conversion of the protocols.
>
> I are waiting for any questions, any opinions, and any proposals.

 I admit I probably don't really understand the design document, but am I
getting it right that you're basically trying to create a set of
cross-desktop D-Bus interfaces and wrappers around that? If yes, I suggest
you first concentrate on getting those proposed on the xdg at freedesktop.org
list and a specification of them hosted at freedesktop.org . Such D-Bus
interfaces would be useful even on their own and people could use them
directly. It could also save you some work, since presumably by the time
you're done with this, you won't have to care about KDE3 or Orbit because of
these being phased out (I think Orbit is becoming deprecated in GNOME, but
you better ask them). Finally, this should help you establish a base for your
further work.

 Good luck.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz