[Desktop_architects] 2008 LF Desktop workgroup meeting Minutes - 3/12

John Walicki walicki at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 12 11:16:29 PDT 2008

LF Desktop Linux Workgroup Conference Call - Minutes 3/12
======
Attendees : John Walicki, Alan Clark, Steve Harris, Ira MacDonald, Russell
Harrison

- Linux Foundation DAM-5 Agenda review
    - We will review the draft DAM agenda :
https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Desktop_April_Summit_2008_Agenda
    - Outstanding issues
       - interlock with Ted T'so on joint session with LSB
       - interlock with Susan Oberhauser again on Device Driver session
       - Virtualization session - The VMware team will potentially
moderate this session
       - John to follow up with Till on overlapping joint sessions

John will be blogging about the DAM agenda on the LF website. Watch here:
http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/desktop-linux/

- DAM-5 Lightning Talks
        - Call for proposals - Thursday 4/10
        - If you would like to represent a .org project we'll reserve a
slot for you.
        - Lightning talk deadline : March 26th
        - Submit it to Alan Clark and I and we'll consolidate the
presentations.
        - We're particularly interested in hearing about your project's
2008 plans, challenges and interdependencies with other Linux Desktop
projects.  The DAM is a great place to work with the desktop leaders
toward advancing your efforts.
        - John has created a DAM-5 presentation template - available in
the Agenda :
https://www.linux-foundation.org/images/6/6f/LightningTalkTemplate.odp
    - Alan is arranging a 3/25 Prep session for DAM session presenters -
Alan to send invites

We discussed the Lightning talk list and potential gaps.
- Invite someone from the OOo community
- John to ask Dan who can present on the Linux Developer Network
- Add
   - Desktop Search - Beagle/Tracker/Google Desktop Search
      -   Google Earth / Picasa
      -  OpenProj
      -  Eclipse
      - Linux Adoption Gaps - Don Hardaway
      - Linux on the PS3 cell

Lightning talks - working list

Major desktop open source projects presentations:
Gnome (30mins) - covered on the Wednesday agenda? - removed
KDE (30mins) - covered on the Wednesday agenda?  - removed
HAL / Dbus? (15mins) - John Palmieri
OpenOffice.org (15mins)
Mozilla Firefox (15mins)- Chris Blizzard
Accessibility - George Kraft
Wireless: device drivers and security support
Portland (cross-desktop) interoperability - Kevin Krammer?
Thin Client - Inge Wallin
ODF standards update - Alan Clark
Linux Desktop in India - Ram Reddy
Automated Desktop Testing - Ram Reddy
Sound
Multimedia
Open drivers
Packaging
Wireless
Power management
Developer network (portal)
Testing
Standards
Text layout
Security
System management
Walk-on / Ad hoc

- Linux Foundation DAM-5 Invitees
   - The LF Collaboration Summit DAM-5 invitation was sent to ~150 invited

desktop architects.  If you want to attend but didn't get an invitation,
make the case to the DAM organizing committee (John/Alan/Brady)
Please remember to register so we can get an accurate attendee count:
https://www.linux-foundation.org/events/collaboration

   - The LF has a modest travel fund to bring the right Desktop Architect
attendees to Austin.
https://www.linux-foundation.org/travel/

======  Reminders  ======

-  2008 LF Desktop Linux workgroup meetings
DTL workgroup conference calls are scheduled at 1pm Eastern Time
Wednesdays on the
following dates.   Dan has posted this information to the LF Calendar.
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LF_Public_Calendar

Number: 1-877-346-9707
Passcode: 55586

Wednesday March 12th, 2008  13:00 EDT  (note switch to Daylight Savings,
still 1pm Eastern but different UT)
Wednesday March 26th, 2008  13:00 EDT
Skip April 9th because we'll all be together for the Desktop Architects
Meeting #5 meeting in Austin TX
Wednesday April 23th, 2008  13:00 EDT
Wednesday May 07th, 2008  13:00 EDT
Wednesday May 21th, 2008  13:00 EDT