[Desktop_architects] 2008 LF Desktop workgroup meeting minutes - 3/26

John Walicki walicki at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 26 21:35:15 PDT 2008

LF Desktop Linux Workgroup Conference Call - Minutes 3/26
======
Attendees : John Walicki, Alan Clark, Don Hardaway, Gordon Hopper, Russell
Harrison, George Kraft

- Linux Foundation DAM-5 Agenda review
    - Attendance : DAM registrants
> Registered LF Summit attendees is swelling.  I extracted out
> the definite DAM attendees.  We're at 75 now. In some cases it wasn't
> clear which mini-summit the person would be attending.  I probably
missed
> some people.  I also suspect that attendees registered for the Printing,
> LSB, Driver, Accessibility, Mobile workgroups will join us.  We'll
likely
> see peak attendance at over 100 for some of the joint sessions.

    - We reviewed the draft DAM agenda :
https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Desktop_April_Summit_2008_Agenda
    - Outstanding issues
       - Distro introductions - Add Foresight, inquire again about
Linspire, AsiaNUX
       - Follow up on Lenovo preload participation
       - Added a case study - which is great because we have a good mix of
industries represented in the case studies, time will be tight however.
       - Linux Developer Network lightning talk - Dan
       - Accessibility talk - Janina Sajka?
       - Virtualization session - planning session scheduled - invite the
Virtualization Summit attendees.
       - Ask Susanne Oberhauser to introduce the Drivers and Driver Back
Porting Working Group mission.
       - Anyone from AMD/ATI attending to talk about the state of their
now open video driver?
       - George to find out if we can close with a Linux on PS3 demo.

- Logistics - Wednesday 4/9 we will be in the 148 seat auditorium seating.

            - Thursday 4/10 we will be in a 90 person conference room.
            - UT is adding additional wireless access points
            - John met with Amanda/Angela to discuss A/V requirements

- DAM-5 Lightning Talks
        - Lightning talk deadline : March 26th - Today
        - Submit it to Alan Clark and I and we'll consolidate the
presentations.
        - We're particularly interested in hearing about your project's
2008 plans, challenges and interdependencies with other Linux Desktop
projects.  The DAM is a great place to work with the desktop leaders
toward advancing your efforts.
        - John has created a DAM-5 presentation template -
https://www.linux-foundation.org/images/6/6f/LightningTalkTemplate.odp

Here is a proposed list of Lightning Talks:
HAL / Dbus - John Palmieri
Mozilla Firefox - Chris Blizzard
Accessibility - Janina
Portland (cross-desktop) interoperability - Kevin Krammer
Thin Client - Inge Wallin
ODF standards update - Rob Weir
OpenOffice.org - Alan Clark
Lotus Symphony - John Walicki
Linux Desktop in India - Ram Reddy
Automated Desktop Testing - Ram Reddy
Linux Adoption Gaps - Don Hardaway
Multimedia - Wim Taymans
Common Desktop Infrastructure - Daisuke Kameda
Sound
Open drivers
Packaging
Wireless
Power management
Developer network (portal)
Testing
Standards
Text layout
Security
System management
Desktop Search - Beagle/Tracker/Google Desktop Search
Google Earth / Picasa
OpenProj
Eclipse
Linux on the PS3 cell
Walk-on / Ad hoc

- Linux Foundation DAM-5 Invitees
desktop architects.  If you want to attend but didn't get an invitation,
make the case to the DAM organizing committee (John/Alan/Brady)
Please remember to register so we can get an accurate attendee count:
https://www.linux-foundation.org/events/collaboration

   - The LF has a modest travel fund to bring the right Desktop Architect
attendees to Austin.
https://www.linux-foundation.org/travel/

======  Reminders  ======

-  2008 LF Desktop Linux workgroup meetings
DTL workgroup conference calls are scheduled at 1pm Eastern Time
Wednesdays on the
following dates.   Dan has posted this information to the LF Calendar.
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LF_Public_Calendar

Number: 1-877-346-9707
Passcode: 55586

Skip April 9th because we'll all be together for the Desktop Architects
Meeting #5 meeting in Austin TX
Wednesday April 23th, 2008  13:00 EDT
Wednesday May 07th, 2008  13:00 EDT
Wednesday May 21th, 2008  13:00 EDT