[Desktop_architects] Shouldn't distros and ISVs ensure that security updates get deployed promptly?

sjvn sjvn at vna1.com
Wed Feb 4 08:48:32 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 08:30 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> If anybody tries to silently upgrade my machine, I refuse to use the
> whole
> system. No way, no how.

Well, there's silent and then they're Silent.

I believe what Dan is proposing is a mechanism that will give users
and/or system admins the choice of automagically installing
high-priority updates on systems, <i>if</i> they trust their distro
provider. And, if it's done, it would still record its actions in a log
and alert the user/admin. This is silent with a small 's,' unlike
Windows where sleath Silent and forced 'upgrades' are the order of the
day.

While personally I also like having absolute control over what gets
upgraded, or what doesn't, in my OSs, I can see the utility of the
system that Dan is looking for, and, as it happens, it sounds like
PackageKit already has.

Steven
--
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols