[Desktop_architects] Shouldn't distros and ISVs ensure that security updates get deployed promptly?

Hubert Figuiere hub at figuiere.net
Wed Feb 4 12:06:39 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 11:38 -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:

> The problem happens on systems that use the linux system
> package manager to do the update.  (I guess the delta file
> is something specific to Firefox's own homebrew autoupdate,
> which I imagine is not used by most distros.)

SUSE also manage update using delta.rpm, which is a delta between two
versions of a RPM, provide more efficient payload when doing this over a
network infrastructure.
This is specific to RPM, not sure it is SUSE only or not (albeit anybody
can choose to incorporate it in their distro it as it is Free Software)

So maybe it is specific on specific to Firefox, but some distro have
their mechanisms.

Hub