[Desktop_architects] Shouldn't distros and ISVs ensure that security updates get deployed promptly?

Fri Feb 6 01:23:38 PST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:

> This isn't an idle question... the ISV I work
> for is pondering how to package its app
> and how to push out security updates to all customers
> promptly.
> I can't recall any standard mechanisms to make this
> happen other than, um, having the package install
> a daily crontab script to update itself via the appropriate
> "apt-get install foo" or "yum install foo" command.

o Wouldn't doing the update silently actually rob the ISV of
demonstrating value ? ie. Showing that the update is available quickly
and allowing an audit trail for installing the update should work out
as a win for both ISV and customer.

o PackageKit does allow the end user to specify which kind/category of
updates that can be installed automagically - does that meet one part
of the requirement ?