[diamon-discuss] Diamon Workgroup meeting on Wednesday March 25, 2015, at 11h EDT (15h UTC)

Brendan Gregg bgregg at netflix.com
Wed Mar 25 15:09:27 UTC 2015

G'Day,

In the meeting today I'll talk about end use cases of tracing at Netflix.
As something to prompt my own memory, the following is a list of desirable
tracing features I recently created, based on the use cases. Sorry, don't
yet have a complete list of actual use cases, just the solutions to the use
cases! (This is a bit like saying the answer is 42; in the call I'll talk
about what the questions are).

Base features:
- Tracing of kernel tracepoints
- Tracing of kprobes
- Custom filters
- printf() on events
- Maps on events (to allow histograms, summary variables)
- Custom variables within and between events (eg, for saving timestamps and
timing latency)
- Means of doing custom statistics (eg, global integers)
- Means of doing frequency counting (eg, associative array variable type)
- Means of doing histograms (eg, array variable type)
- Access to tracepoint fields (for use in filters, printf, histograms)
- Access to kprobe return rval (" " ")
- Access to kprobe entry arguments (ideally arg1, arg2, ...; else registers)
- Access to kernel stack trace (for printing, or using as a key for
frequency counting)
- Access to user-level stack trace (" ")

Additional features:
- Custom profiling (99 hertz)
- Kernel debuginfo for walking kernel structs, and accessing kprobe entry
args as variables
- Tracing of uprobes
- Tracing of user markers (UST/USDT)
- User debuginfo for user structs and args
- Easy to use language
- Library of scripting features
- Nice one-liner syntax

Brendan

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers <
mathieu.desnoyers at efficios.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> You're invited to participate to the next Diagnostic and Monitoring
> Workgroup (http://diamon.org) meeting, on March 25, 2015, at 11h EDT
> (15h UTC).
>
> Our agenda:
> - Discuss location and date for the 2015 Tracing Summit,
> - Brendan Gregg will present industry use-cases relevant for this
>   workgroup,
> - Discuss project brought into the workgroup: Babeltrace, along with
>   facilities provided by the workgroup for such projects.
>
> Let us know if there are other topics you would like to cover.
>
> The meeting bridge information will be sent before the meeting.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mathieu
>

> --
> Mathieu Desnoyers
> EfficiOS Inc.
> http://www.efficios.com

Brendan Gregg, Senior Performance Architect, Netflix