[fhs-discuss] static sharable files

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Mon May 9 20:22:30 PDT 2011

On 05/09/2011 05:38 AM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> But all of the existing issues identified by having the separation
> fail to address an even bigger issue: sharing /usr is entirely
> incompatible with a modern package manager, and this has always been
> the case.  See:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/01/msg00152.html

This is true for (most) Linux distributions, but let's not forget that
the FHS tries to be a standard for UNIX-like filesystems in general,
including systems like the *BSDs, Solaris, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but we need to be considerate of
"historical" use cases for some of our older cousins, even if those use
cases no longer make sense in the Linux context.

--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org

Join us this year in celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Linux!
   Watch the "Story of Linux" here:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocq6_3-nEw
   See all of the 20th Anniversary activities here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th