[fhs-discuss] static sharable files

Ingo Schwarze schwarze at usta.de
Tue May 10 14:28:19 PDT 2011

Hi,

Bruno Cornec wrote on Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:10:44PM +0200:

> I'm systematically separating /usr (and /var for what matters) on a
> dedicated partition. Could be for the LVM non-LVM reason, the difference
> of FS types, and having a FS which can be filled without putting at risk
> the rest of the system, or broken separately.
>
> Maybe old Unix habits, showing my age, but I never regretted to have done
> so on the systems I'm managing.
>
> I still think it's too early to decide to merge / and /usr in a standard
> such as the FHS.

I couldn't agree more.

Besides, there are non-Linux UNIX-like system, and at least on some
of them, there is no good reason to have /usr on the same partition
as /, since great care is taken to not use anything from /usr in the
boot process.

Besides, if i need to boot into single-user mode, i really enjoy
have nothing mounted but / by default.  Typically, this happens
in rare, unusual emergency cases, and then i really don't want
complicated stuff like /usr get in the way - until i decide it
is safe to mount it manually.  Oh, and it is nice to be able to
boot into single-user mode without the need to fsck more than a,
say, half-GB root partition.

Yours,
  Ingo

--