[fhs-discuss] static sharable files

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Tue May 10 22:04:15 PDT 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011 23:28:19 +0200
Ingo Schwarze <schwarze at usta.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bruno Cornec wrote on Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:10:44PM +0200:
>
> > I'm systematically separating /usr (and /var for what matters) on a
> > dedicated partition. Could be for the LVM non-LVM reason, the
> > difference of FS types, and having a FS which can be filled without
> > putting at risk the rest of the system, or broken separately.
> >
> > Maybe old Unix habits, showing my age, but I never regretted to
> > have done so on the systems I'm managing.
> >
> > I still think it's too early to decide to merge / and /usr in a
> > standard such as the FHS.
>
> I couldn't agree more.
>
> Besides, there are non-Linux UNIX-like system, and at least on some
> of them, there is no good reason to have /usr on the same partition
> as /, since great care is taken to not use anything from /usr in the
> boot process.

Do any of those systems use this standard? If so it would be good to
get some representation from them on this list.

> Besides, if i need to boot into single-user mode, i really enjoy
> have nothing mounted but / by default.  Typically, this happens
> in rare, unusual emergency cases, and then i really don't want
> complicated stuff like /usr get in the way - until i decide it

Complicated stuff like /usr? not sure I follow what you mean here.

> is safe to mount it manually.  Oh, and it is nice to be able to
> boot into single-user mode without the need to fsck more than a,
> say, half-GB root partition.

I'm impressed you bother to stagger your fscks :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au