[fhs-discuss] static sharable files

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Wed May 11 15:16:37 PDT 2011

Karl Goetz said on Wed, May 11, 2011 at 03:03:02PM +1000:

> On my current system i went the other way about a month ago and
> merged /usr into / after running out of space on / (thanks to multiple
> kernels in /boot OODing me).

A lot of distributions also separate /boot, especially when using LVM by
default for partitions setup. Which helps avoiding filling /

FWIW, I also tend to separate /tmp for the same reason.

> > I still think it's too early to decide to merge / and /usr in a
> > standard such as the FHS.
>
> Too early to remove /usr entirely, or too early to require it is part
> of / (root) partition?

I'd tend to say both. Anyway I don't think the FHS should "require" it
to be part of /. Suggest maybe (even if I would not folloz the advise
;-)

Best regards,
Bruno.
--