[fhs-discuss] tighten the use and intention of the "/var" hierarchy

Martin Bähr mbaehr at email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
Sun May 15 21:16:36 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 01:11:58AM +0000, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > Data not related directly to a specific Unix user.
> Don't agree with that,... as it would basically mean that /srv is useless.

not really, /srv is used for stuff that is accessible outside the
machine. websites for example. they are not specific to any user either
but they have the distinction that they are not internal to the machine.

of course, that raises the question of databases that are shared, but as
an admin i am free to configure databases to have them use /srv too, so
there is no problem.

i'd also put exported nfs home directories in /srv/home for example if
those homedirectories are not used by local users. (like on our nfs
server, users are not supposed to log into the server so their home
directories are distinct not internal to the machine)

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
services:   debugging, programming, training, linux sysadmin, web development