[fhs-discuss] FHS exported filesystems

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Mon May 16 07:15:05 PDT 2011

Hi.

First I don't think that FHS is very much tailored on single machines.
Actually having things like /usr, /etc, /var makes it possible to have
some parts (e.g. the packages) on a remote machine bug everything that's
locally required (locks, pid files, config) locally.

On Mon, 16 May 2011 12:47:41 +0100, Tony Travis <ajt at minke.ukfsn.org>
wrote:
> This man page describes how /export is used under FreeBSD/SunOS:
I personally don't like the idea of having a separate hierarchy for
exported stuff.
IMHO this belongs (at least in many cases) to /srv.

Especially it's questionable how exported filesystems differ from other
things that are _conceptually_ also "exported", e.g. HTTP data, or take a
SVN or CVS repository. These should likely go to /srv and one can in
principle also mount them as filesystem (e.g. via FUSE in Linux).

I'd say people should either put this in /srv or just make their own
/<something> if they really think they need to,.. e.g. something like
/data/videos, /data/music .
Actually it might be worth adding a /data hierarchy for this. Whether this
is then exported or not is irrelevant.

The more I consider it, the more I like it (/data).
If you export a whole filesystem this is either:
a) any data
b) something used on another system by some service (e.g. you have your
maildirs from a pop3/imap server) stored on an NFS area.

For a) I'd prefer having /data instead of /export.
For b) I'd personally tend to use /srv

Cheers,
Chris.