[fhs-discuss] tighten the use and intention of the "/var" hierarchy

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Tue May 17 01:31:21 PDT 2011

Christoph Anton Mitterer said on Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:17:47AM +0200:

> On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 16:43 +0200, Bruno Cornec wrote:
> > Well, in reality, news, mail or crontab files are there for long :-(
> > Of course, this is different for postfix, at or lpd under /var/spool.
> >
> > I know sysadmins who keep the mailboxes of their users under
> > /var/spool/mail
> > This is then not volatile, at least for the people whose mailbox is
> > there ;-)
> >
> > Throughout the years, tools are using /var/spool for different things. I
> > don't know whether we can influence their choices there.
>
> Well but all this is then abuse of spool, as this is AFAIU really just
> for volatile/temporary/currently processed data.

Well, here is what I have which is causing problem for me:

$ sudo ls /var/spool/cron/
bkp  bruno  root
$ sudo ls /var/spool/anacron/
cron.daily  cron.monthly  cron.weekly

these data if lost can't be recovered. Maybe distros should use
/var/cron instead ?

Indeed news should not be considered as a problem that much as most of
it could be recreated from the various feeds (even if local posts could
then be lost definitely before having been transfered).
Same for uucp.

Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com