[fhs-discuss] /run ins FHS?

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Tue May 17 01:51:37 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 09:22:47AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> | If a given distribution ** wants ** the support load of NOT
> | having enough info remaining persistent to diagnose state by
> | simple inspection, on their head be it --- but we do not need
> | to FORCE all to so suffer

> I think it makes sense to require applications to not assume that the
> contents are persistent across reboots.  This does not tie the hands of
> distributions, but require that using a tmpfs (or similar) will work.

A little late to the party so my input is largely superfluous here, but as
my first five messages to this new list have consisted entirely of me trying
to shoot down others' proposed changes to the FHS, I'd like to give an
explicit and hearty +1 to the above. :-)  Use of /run for early-boot
ephemeral data was proposed in Debian years ago but got caught up due to
worries of divergence from the FHS of all things.  I'm grateful to Lennart
et al. for getting this unstuck where Debian could not do so on its own.