[fhs-discuss] on the /*/local/ hierarchies

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Tue May 17 01:24:51 PDT 2011

On Sat, 14 May 2011 22:52:23 +0000
Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo at scientia.net> wrote:

> Hi.
>

> 1) One idea that could be discussed (although it's very unlikely that
> this is accepted) is, whether all of the current "/*/local*"
> directories are moved to it's own hierarchy below "/local".
> So on would have e.g.:
> /local/bin
> /local/sbin
> /local/usr
> /local/etc
> /local/var
> (and their typical sub-hierarchies).

Interesting idea.

> I'm not claiming that this is necessarily better that the current
> schema, especially when one wants to mount some of them read-only, or
> e.g. keep all var-data in one filesystem.
> But it would have the advantage, that all local stuff is clearly
> sorted in its own hierarchy.

I find the idea interesting, but ...

> Of course I know, that this is probably difficult to get accepted.

... its probably impossible to get accepted in the near or even mid
term :/ (That said, anyone who uses ln -s / /usr will get it free ;))

> 4) "/opt/local" would be not directly related to the other directories
> mentioned above.
> The usage of "/opt" itself is rather fuzzy, and most distributions do
> to not install any software/packages there at all.
> One could argue, that anything that goes to "/opt" is somewhat local
> anyway,... but it's not necessarily not-packaged.
>
> So I'd at least reserve the usage of "/opt/local" for "local usage".

If i was going to move /usr/local anyware, it would be to /opt/local.
Moved as-is, just in a new location (for the reason that it keeps all
non-distributor software under /opt/).
Definitely not something I"m going to push for though, since it seems
to be nothing more then a feel good change in my mind, and has huge
compatibility failures.
thanks,
kk

--