[fhs-discuss] Merge FHS with BSD filesystem standard?

Tony Travis ajt at minke.ukfsn.org
Tue May 17 11:42:10 PDT 2011

On 17/05/11 16:16, Martin Baehr wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 05:01:21AM +0200, Martin Baehr wrote:
>> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:47:41PM +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
>>> This man page describes how /export is used under FreeBSD/SunOS:
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=filesystem&manpath=SunOS+4.1.3
>>
>> interesting.
>> if we want to get BSD people back into the FHS then i think an attempt
>> should be made to merge this into the FHS. at least the non-conflicting
>> parts for start.
>
> actually, the above is only the old SunOS, more relevant are
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&manpath=NetBSD+5.1
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&manpath=OpenBSD+4.7
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&manpath=FreeBSD+9-current

Hi, Martin.

I know that the link I posted relates to the old BSD/SunOS filesystem. I
only posted it because it describes how /export is used for BSD-style
automounted /home directories in peer NFS networks. I thought this may
help to illustrate what I've been talking about in relation to the FHS.

Bye,

   Tony.