[fhs-discuss] Merge FHS with BSD filesystem standard?

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Wed May 18 07:40:11 PDT 2011

On 05/17/2011 12:04 PM, Julian Fagir wrote:
>> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:47:41PM +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
>> if we want to get BSD people back into the FHS then i think an attempt
>> should be made to merge this into the FHS. at least the non-conflicting
>> parts for start.
>
> this request was already made:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2011-May/011439.html
> The NetBSD-mailing list had a longer discussion about that:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2011/05/10/msg005050.html

OpenBSD was involved as well:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=130499860531930&w=4

The conclusion, all around, was that *BSD wasn't interested in the FHS.

--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org

Join us this year in celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Linux!
   Watch the "Story of Linux" here:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocq6_3-nEw
   See all of the 20th Anniversary activities here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th