[fhs-discuss] tighten the use and intention of the "/var" hierarchy

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Wed May 18 10:27:04 PDT 2011

Tollef Fog Heen said on Tue, May 17, 2011 at 02:07:08PM +0200:

> Maybe I'm odd, but the concept of not backing up all files is very odd
> to me due to backup space being relativetly cheap and the cost of not
> backing up a given file potentially being huge.

It's not only a matter of size. It is also a matter of time.
Also I'm working on a Disaster Recovery Solution (Mondorescue) and being
able to make a working image (from a package management perspective) is
important. And generally the data parts are handled by a real backup
solution in addition to the DR one.

Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com