[fhs-discuss] on the /*/local/ hierarchies

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Wed May 18 10:42:59 PDT 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011 13:07:30 +0200, Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr at debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Since symlinking /usr to / is being discussed here anyways, I'd not
> focus on that. There is merit for some people to have /usr, others don't
> like it anymore. If distributions started to care about that symlink,
> users could decide and get /local easily.
btw: I personally wouldn't like to drop /usr...
Especially the separation between /bin|/sbin and /usr/bin|/usr/sbin is
quite reasonable and important IMHO, espcially with respect to technicall
issues of the boot process. It can even be security relvant IMHO.

> I like very much the approach of having below /usr/local everything that
> is 3rd-party (not delivered by a package manager) and complies to unix
> standards, e.g. make && make install stuff. /opt on the other hand can
> be everything 3rd-party-like that doesn't comply, e.g. binary-only stuff
> etc. That separation even makes sense backup-wise.
Fully ACKed.

> Yes, please. /usr/local/etc is complete nonsense imo. Config files are
> not to be below /usr which is supposedly read-only. Also, considering
> /var/local (and not /usr/local/var), /etc/local makes a lot of sense to
> me. An admin could still decide to not follow that idea and symlink
> /etc/local to /etc if he doesn't care for that separation.
Fully ACKed.

> No, leave /opt as free as possible. It's for all those who can't learn
> to comply to anything, otherwise they would install to
> $prefix/{share,bin,...}, $prefix defaulting to /usr/local and being
> overriden by package managers to /usr. Since they can't seem to do that,
> they have to deal with the mess they cause in /opt.
Yes,... you're right,.. so let me express it better what I've had in my
mind's back:
I'd like to see /opt/local "reserved for future use/definition"....
IF we decide in the future, that /opt/ needs a "local" as /etc, /var, /usr
("more or less all others") have... than we know for sure that it wasn't
"validly" used.

Cheers,
Chris.