[fhs-discuss] user-specific directories in /run

Sun May 22 16:10:32 PDT 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 22:35, Roger Leigh <rleigh at codelibre.net> wrote:

> Do we want to allow users to create files under /run, or reserve it
> solely for system use?

No, that is why I wanted user-specific directories.

> What makes /tmp unsuitable for this purpose?  It's already possible
> to securely create directories owned by the user there, and these
> runtime files are, by definition, temporary.

/tmp will most likely be cleared out from time to time. /run is guaranteed to.

> The above scheme also looks like it only creates a single
> directory per user; one may have multiple sessions, so I fail to see
> how a temporary directory under /tmp or /tmp/user would be any worse
> than /run.  Either may be a tmpfs; while having either on a tmpfs is
> ideal, it's not something that may be relied upon.

I am not sure what session-specific directories would achieve, but

  /run/user/$USER/session.d/XXXXXXXXXX
or
  /run/user/$USER/sessions/XXXXXXXXXX
or
  /run/user/$USER/session/XXXXXXXXXX

could be created easily.

  $XDG_RUNTIME_SESSION_DIR

could hold the link to it. I am still not sure what its use would be, though.

Richard