[fhs-discuss] games/ as a separate directory

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Sun May 22 22:21:53 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 01:05:35AM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 00:13, Steve Langasek <vorlon at debian.org> wrote:

> > Yes, they are.  Only games, as a class, use setgid bits to share high score
> > data between users.

> See the discussion about that one the freedesktop game mailing list.
> At least Debian and Fedora are actively changing this.

That is simply not true.  Whoever is proposing this on said mailing list is
not speaking on behalf of Debian as a project where directory policy is
concerned; Debian still conforms with FHS 2.3 on this point.

And reviewing the mailing list archives for this month, there are several
Debian developers participating in the discussion but only one arguing for
dropping /usr/games AFAICS.