[fhs-discuss] user-specific directories in /run

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hp.com
Mon May 23 05:45:28 PDT 2011

Lennart Poettering said on Mon, May 23, 2011 at 02:30:54PM +0200:

> On Mon, 23.05.11 10:35, Roger Leigh (rleigh at codelibre.net) wrote:
> I think putting an emphasis on multiple sessions per user is wrong
> though. Most terminal user services are per-user (not per-session)
> anyway (i.e. gpg-agent, ssh-agent, ...). And desktops like GNOME (or the
> popular apps, like firefox, ...) cannot really cope with multiple
> simultaneous graphical logins anyway. And fixing that is kinda
> pointless. (Yeah, I am sure you disagree with that and believe that
> multiple X11 sessions is something we totally should support, but
> everybody who worked on the XDG stuff was convinced otherwise, and I am
> not going to reopen that discussion again).

I ternd to think that this is still useful. With tools like nx e.g. you
may well want to open multiple graphical envs on the same box. And
firefox can cope with that with different profiles (I use a remote one,
when working remotely). But I don't know what it means for XDG for sure.

Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA           / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative  / http://www.hpintelco.net