[fhs-discuss] user-specific directories in /run

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at err.no
Mon May 23 13:55:07 PDT 2011

]] Richard Hartmann

| > What makes /tmp unsuitable for this purpose?  It's already possible
| > to securely create directories owned by the user there, and these
| > runtime files are, by definition, temporary.
|
| /tmp will most likely be cleared out from time to time. /run is
| guaranteed to.

No, it's not.  The earlier consensus was:

  I think it makes sense to require applications to not assume that the
  contents are persistent across reboots.  This does not tie the hands
  of distributions, but require that using a tmpfs (or similar) will
  work.

This does not guarantee it being cleaned, just forces apps to cope with
it being cleaned.

This in contrast with /tmp, where FHS 2.3 says:

  Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are
  preserved between invocations of the program.

so, I think /run is more appropriate than /tmp here.

Regards,
--
Tollef Fog Heen