[fhs-discuss] user-specific directories in /run

Jeff Licquia licquia at linuxfoundation.org
Tue May 24 10:23:11 PDT 2011

On 05/24/2011 12:02 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 02:42:03PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> Well, I certainly always had in mind creating /run/user, when we pushed
>> for /run.
>
> Well, it certainly wasn't in *our* minds.

Looking at it from a FHS perspective, it seems we have two proposals.
/run itself isn't controversial, and though /run/user is, distros should
be free to use it or not as long as $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR has some sane
implementation.

So, we should specify /run in the FHS and leave /run/user as an
implementation detail for the XDG spec.

Does that sound about right?

--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation
licquia at linuxfoundation.org

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org

Join us this year in celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Linux!
   Watch the "Story of Linux" here:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocq6_3-nEw
   See all of the 20th Anniversary activities here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th