[fhs-discuss] FHS/LSB Updates

Ingo Schwarze schwarze at openbsd.org
Wed Nov 16 19:42:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

Mats Wichmann wrote on Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:30:09PM -0700:

> There was some effort to try to converge tar and cpio into pax, such
> that the requirements would be "one required tool, correctly handles
> both file formats".  I don't think that really got as much traction
> as the people who named it thought it would.

For what it's worth, /bin/pax, /bin/tar and /bin/cpio have been
hard links to the same statically linked executable (such that
they work even when /usr is not mounted and ld.so is broken)
since 1997 on OpenBSD.

So anybody who wants to use that code is free to grab it here,
of course with a GPL-compatible license (3-clause BSD):

  http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/bin/pax/

Yours,
  Ingo