[fhs-discuss] Common directory for configuration files below /usr

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Wed Jun 12 20:20:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jun 12, Dusty Mabe wrote:

> On 6/12/19 4:10 PM, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 12, Frans de Boer wrote:
> >
> >> How do you differentiate between /etc and /usr/etc? What is their respective
> >> purpose?
> >
> > /usr/etc - distribution/system specific default configuration files
> > /etc - host specific changes to configuration files done by the sysadmin.
> >
> > Only look at systemd, sysctl, modprobe, ...
> > They all store the distribution/system specific configuration files well
> > hidden in /usr/lib/... and /etc only contains the changes done by the admin.
>
> I think the way these tools have done it is what we should strive for. For example,
> with systemd the default is in `/usr/lib/`, overrides in `/etc/`. If you ever get
> confused the tools help you find what's applied. i.e. `systemctl cat foo.service`
> lists at the top of the output which file is used.

Yes, but at first people need to know, that this configuration files
exist and which tool is responsible for it.
Afterwards you could use the tool to get a merged view on the
configuration.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect SLES & MicroOS
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany