[Fuego] Fuego status and ideas

Bird, Timothy Tim.Bird at am.sony.com
Fri Sep 9 18:45:03 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm writing to give an update about what I've been working on in Fuego that last few weeks.

I haven't made as much progress as I'd like, due to other work responsibilities, but I'd like to
at least report what I've accomplished, and what the next few goals are for the project
(from my perspective).

The main things I've worked on recently are:
 * support for latest Jenkins
 * online documentation
 * serial port transport
 * command-line test launcher (ftc)
 * starting my own repositories
 * support for Sony's target control tool (ttc)
 * test packaging
 * public Fuego presence (for demos and tryouts)

Most of these have not been committed to public repositories
yet.  However, I hope to do some commits (even if the work is
not finished) in the next few weeks.  Possibly I will put code for
side projects (like ttc and ftc) onto branches on my bitbucket
repositories.  That way people can at least see the work in progress
if they are interested.

== support for latest Jenkins
I started a bit of this work, but then backed up and decided to re-think it.
I'd like to support both the current method of creating the docker container,
where we have a fixed Jenkins debian package, and pre-installed plugins, as
well as support a way to build a container with latest Jenkins and plugins.

Part of this effort will require (IMHO) that we write tests for Fuego itself,
to watch for things that break when Jenkins or its plugins change.

== online documentation
I've been filling in a lot of material on the fuego wiki at:
http://bird.org/fuego/FrontPage.

Specifically, I've been documenting how a lot of the scripts work, and
the test APIS and variables that test scripts can use for the tests.
There is much work remaining, but I hope to be 70% complete by
ELCE.

 == serial port transport
The serial port transport I had hoped to work on myself, but I've
recently asked for bids from a few companies to do these as
outsourced work.  I hope to review the bids at the upcoming
CELP meetings in Berlin in October, and hopefully get approval
to fund them.
* command-line test launcher (ftc)
The command-line test launcher works, but is not complete.
I cut some corners to get a prototype working, and I'd say I'm about
40% complete.  This will allow you to use the Fuego system from
the command line, without Jenkins, if you wish.

== starting my own repositories
I have started my own fuego repositories at:
https://bitbucket.org/tbird20d/fuego
and
https://bitbucket.org/tbird20d/fuego-core

I'm not seeing a lot of activity on the cogent repositories, so I'd like
to plan on these being the master public repositories for the project
going forward.

== support for Sony's target control tool (ttc)
This is for Sony internal work, for the moment.  I'll describe it
in greater detail in the future.

== test packaging
This deserves a longer discussion, that I'll raise on a separate thread.

== public Fuego presence (for demos and tryouts)
I have a virtual private server from the Linux Foundation, that I'd like
to install Fuego on, so people can test the interface, see how the tests
run, and things like that, without having to install the system themselves.
I'll probably configure it to run tests on a qemu image, on the server, but
I may also experiment with supporting remote boards from this site.

Masao Nomura gave a presentation at yesterday's Japan Jamboree 58,
describing the work Renesas has done lately with Fuego.  I hope to get those
slides published soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions about these status items,
or the general direction of Fuego work.

Thanks,
 -- Tim Bird
Senior Staff Software Engineer, Sony Corporation