[Fuego] run.json/testlog link missing

Bird, Timothy Tim.Bird at sony.com
Fri Dec 22 20:05:35 UTC 2017

As near as I can tell, this is what Daniel intended.  I worked on the description setter
links most recently (in ftc), and I tried to preserve the defaults that Daniel had.

I believe that the rationale is that if the test succeeds, all you really want to see in the interface
is the test log (from the test program) and the run.json file with final results.  And you can
access the console log for the test using the Jenkins menu or by clicking on the status icon.

However, if the test aborted, or had an error, then you may want to look at other logs to
see if they have more information that is helpful to identify the problem.

Just by way of explanation, the strings for the links are constructed a job creation time,
and put into the config.xml by the ftc create_job() function.   This function reads the
spec file, and sets the description with strings for the success and fail cases (which
includes abort and error results for a job).  The logic here is a bit convoluted, but a
spec file can define "success_links", "extra_success_links", "fail_links", and "extra_fail_links".
If these are not specified, a default list of links is used. (see the code following the
comments "# default success links" and "# default fail links".)

I believe the old JTA code had support for using a descriptionSetter API at text
execution time, to set the links for the description.  The current code does not rely on
using the API at test execution time, or on using a regular expression to determine
pass or failure.  Instead, Fuego merely uses statically defined (but parameterized)
strings with the HTML links for certain log files, in the Jenkins config.xml for a job
file for a test.  It may not be obvious what the fail links are (what the "Description for
failed builds" is) for a job.  You have to click on the "Advanced" button in the
"Set build description" box under "Post-build Actions", to see these.

> Ths config.xml seems to be correct.

> Maybe there is something wrong with my descriptionsetter plugin or there is
> some variables to control this?
>
> Anyone has the same issue?
>
> Thanks for any response in advance.

If the links are not what you expect, then we should discuss what
they ought to be, to be more sensible or intuitive. Or maybe we
should add some description to the results "description" to explain
why some links are there and some are not.

Just as an aside,  my own opinion is that the default fail link to the
console log is redundant, since there's a link to that for every build
in the Jenkins interface already.  Also, our cover text for this is
'fuegolog', which I think is misleading and makes users think this is
something besides the Jenkins console log.

At a minimum, the behavior of Fuego with respect to these links, and the possibility
of customizing them through the spec file, should be documented.  This
should probably be done on:
http://fuegotest.org/wiki/Test_Specs_and_Plans
But possibly this needs to be explained as part of some walkthrough of the
Jenkins user interface, as used by Fuego.  I was planning on working on
such a walkthrough some time soon.

I hope this helps.
 -- Tim