[Fuego] Update on recent activity

Bird, Timothy Tim.Bird at sony.com
Wed Jun 21 22:58:41 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Here is an update on recent Fuego activity.

There were numerous side meetings and presentations held at the Automotive Linux Summit and Open Source Summit Japan in Tokyo on May 31-June 2. In particular, Khiem Nguyen gave a good presentation there on how Renesas has complemented Fuego with additional functionality to create their full-blown CI infrastructure.  His slides are online and can be found on the Fuego presentations page:
http://bird.org/fuego/Presentations

I held a testing Birds-of-a-Feather session, and answered some questions about Fuego and we had a good discussion about different issues related to Linux testing at the BOF.

Jan-Simon, Daniel and I had a private meeting to discuss 1.2 release features and priorities.  I am still hoping for a release candidate for 1.2 sometime in July.  But there is a lot to do before then.  Luckily, my family vacations and business trips are over for a bit.  So I hope to dig into Fuego work in the next few weeks.  Priorities for the 1.2 release are:
 1) support for LAVA as a transport
 2) test dependency system
 3) uniform test output
 4) documentation improvements

These were all discussed in Japan, and Jan-Simon even sent some preliminary patches for 1).

At an LTSI meeting in Japan, I agreed to take over primary testing for the LTSI project, using Fuego.
I will be setting up some LTSI-related reference boards in my own Fuego lab shortly, as part of
this work.

As part of the discussion, Greg Kroah-Hartman and I discussed the value of having kernel selftest tests
produced a common output format.  I sent him a proposal and some information about TAP13, and
he lined up some volunteers to work on this.  Patches have been submitted to Shuah Kahn, the
kselftest maintainer, and some preliminary work in this area will likely appear in the 4.13 kernel.
I think this is a great development, and I plan to continue to support this work in the kernel as it moves
forward.

I also think that TAP13 would make a good 'default' recommended format for Fuego test output
(for those cases where we are creating new tests and new output).  So I may send around a formal
recommendation and/or write some code to facilitate this, and include it in the Fuego test framework.
TAP13 is very easy to parse, and we essentially already have built-in support for it with our current
routines.

Finally, in China I presented some information about embedded Linux at LinuxCon.  I had a chance to
see Fengguang We at the event (but unfortunately not enough time to discuss anything).  I plan to follow
up with him to see if there is a way to have Fuego features complement his 0-day kernel testing effort.
Also, a developer from China offered to help us arrange Fuego hackathons in that country.  This is something
I hope to follow up on (sometime in the future).

Regards,