[Fuego] PC_WRITE_RETIRED event not implemented on A57?

Liu, Wenlong liuwl.fnst at cn.fujitsu.com
Tue May 16 13:08:21 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Now I am doing the LTP test on the renesas board.

The syscalls testcase“perf_event_open0” responded TCONF and show me that “PERF_COUNT_HW_BRANCH_INSTRUCTIONS” not supported.
I checked the kernel sourcecode, and find that PC_WRITE was not supported on A57, but supported on A53.
The kernel I used is 4.6.0-yocto-standard.

It made me felt confused, I think A57 should support all implemented on A53^_^(I just know a little about the archs).
So I also checked the CPU Technical Reference Manual of A57 and A53.
Indeed, the event not implemented on A57, and it can also learn from the event name “PC_WRITE_RETIRED” in A53 Manual.

Sorry for my long description.
Now, the issue is coming:

1.  What replaced the PC_WRITE event on A57. It just disappeared?

2.  What should I do to pass the testcase, not TCONF.
Thanks in advance.

One more thing,
the A53 CPU’s were disabled on my board. Thanks for the mail named “Re: [agl-discussions] A53 CPU on renesas board?” before.

B.R.
Liu