[Fuego] Release testing update - variable precedence bug found

Tim.Bird at sony.com Tim.Bird at sony.com
Fri Dec 14 22:02:00 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I've been working on documentation and release testing for the Fuego 1.4 release.
One major new feature in this release is dynamic variables, that can be used on
the ftc command line for scripted control of test variations.

I wanted to document this feature, and test it, to make sure it's working as
expected, and I found a bug.

I made the new test Functional.fuego_test_variables to test the precedence
of test variables that are obtained from different places in the Fuego system.
It shows that dynamic variables sometimes don't override spec variables,
although they are supposed to always.

The problem seems to be that the spec.json allows for two variables of
the same name with different case.   But these collide when the overlay
generator converts them both to upper-case.  See testcase 24 in fuego_test_variables.

(The spec has "var_24", and I specified "VAR_24" as a dynamic variable, and they
are both present, with different values, in the generated spec.json and
resulting prolog.sh.)

Either the overlay generator of the dynamic variable spec.json generator
needs to be modified to avoid this issue.

I'll work on a fix for this bug, hopefully over the weekend, but probably by early
next week.
 -- Tim