[Fuego] quiet vs verbose

Tim.Bird at sony.com Tim.Bird at sony.com
Tue Jun 12 03:26:35 UTC 2018

They serve different purposes.
The main intent of 'quiet' is to cause ftc to produce machine-readable output.
This is for things like lists, the elements of which would be used to do additional
queries or operations, possibly under web-based control.  it is intended
to remove human-friendly "decorations" on the output.  'quiet' is for
automating use of 'ftc'.

The main intent of 'verbose' is to cause ftc to produce more user-oriented
human-readable content (with more information about operations being
performed, or nicer indentation, etc.)

The main intent of 'debug' is for out-of-the-ordinary messages, which are
only interesting to developers (or end users desperate to see why something
is going wrong).   Usually, I don't advertise the --debug option for my
command line tools (that is, I don't mention it in the help).  Now
that --debug is coalescing with FUEGO_DEBUG, it somewhat complicates
this particular flag and it's meaning.

I don't know how this squares with what you want to do with argparse.
Only some routines use quiet, but we can make these flags all global, and
just have them have no effect when they don't make any sense.
Let me know what you think.
 -- Tim