[Fuego] Fuego v1.4 not able to add nodes

Tim.Bird at sony.com Tim.Bird at sony.com
Tue Aug 13 22:25:50 UTC 2019

OK - thanks.

> 'Just out of curiosity - do you have more than one instance of Jenkins
> running?
> Is it possible that ftc is trying to contact the wrong jenkins instance?'
>

> I looked at the options suggested by you, thank you for taking the time to
> write those suggestions.
>
> Instead of doing a post mortem, I thought I will do a fresh 'clone, install and
> start' and see if everything is fine.
>
> I tried 'next' branch as well as 'master' branch.
>
> Please see my observation below.
>

> Fuego v1.4 cloning & installation (master branch)

> I am following http://fuegotest.org/fuego-1.5/Fuego_Quickstart_Guide
> <http://fuegotest.org/fuego-1.5/Fuego_Quickstart_Guide>  link.
>
> I used git clone https://bitbucket.org/fuegotest/fuego.git to clone 'master'
> branch which I assume will get me 'fuego v1.4.0'.
>

> I did a 'cat VERSION' after cloning 'fuego' directory, I only see the correct
> version as shown below:
>
> # This project adheres to Semantic Versioning.  See http://semver.org/
> # The codename for this release is "Ember"
> VERSION=1.4.0
>

> Then I did './install.sh'.
>
> But 'fuego-core' is not getting cloned during the './install.sh' step. I need to
> do it manually as per the message below.

In the 1.4 release, install.sh does not download fuego-core.  You have
to download it into a parallel directory to 'fuego' prior to running ./install.sh,
following the instructions shown here:
http://fuegotest.org/wiki/Fuego_Quickstart_Guide#Download,_build,_start_and_access

> 'You need to clone fuego-core at /home/dhinakar/fuego/fuego-host-
> scripts/../../fuego-core' at the end of cloning.
>
> So I went into 'fuego' director and did --> git clone
> https://bitbucket.org/fuegotest/fuego-core.git
>
> But 'jenkins' folder itself is not getting created under
> '/home/dhinakar/fuego'.

The Dockerfile for Fuego 1.4 downloads Jenkins and installs
it into the 'fuego' docker image, with a home directory
of /var/lib/jenkins.  It should not get created under
your home directory on the host machine.

> Hence I moved onto clone 'fuego v1.5.0'.
>

> Fuego v1.5 cloning & installation (next branch)

> Is the below URL the right one to get fuego v1.5?
>
> git clone -b next https://bitbucket.org/fuegotest/fuego.git
>

> because if I do 'cat VERSION' after cloning 'fuego' directory, I only see the
> below:
>

> # This project adheres to Semantic Versioning.  See http://semver.org/
> # The codename for this release is "Ember"
> VERSION=1.4.0
I should update this.  For now, I've updated this version in the 'next'
branch to '1.5.0-rc1'.  I should really change this, however, to
a subsequent version release candidate, right when I create
the next branch after doing a release.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I need to improve my process here.

> And 'fuego-core' gets cloned automatically if I do './install.sh' after cloning
> 'fuego' and getting into 'fuego' directory.
>
> So probably it must be fuego v1.5. Probably the version number needs to be
> changed to 1.5.0.
Yes.

> And default 'install.sh' will not use '--priv' option right?

Yes.  It should support the --priv option.

> Also 'jenkins' folder gets created under '/home/dhinakar/fuego' if I clone
> with 'next' branch.
>
> Jenkins port here is '8090'.
>

> I logged onto dashboard http://107.108.73.106:8090/fuego/ , Jenkins version
> was 2.164.2
>
> As mentioned earlier, 'master' node is not seen initially but after I add one
> node e.g. 'fuego-test', 'master' node is also visible in the dashboard.
>

> Able to list boards, add nodes, remove nodes as shown below.
>

> root at linux-2030047407:/ <mailto:root at linux-2030047407:/> # ftc list-boards
> Boards in this system:
>    bbb
>    beaglebone-serial
>    docker
>    ftc-test
>    fuego-test
>    lager
>    local
>    localhost
>    minnow
>    qemu-arm
>    raspberrypi3
>    template-dev
>

> root at linux-2030047407:/ <mailto:root at linux-2030047407:/> # ftc add-nodes
> -b fuego-test
>
> root at linux-2030047407:/ <mailto:root at linux-2030047407:/> # ftc list-nodes
> Jenkins nodes in this system:
>    fuego-test
>
> root at linux-2030047407:/ <mailto:root at linux-2030047407:/> # ftc rm-nodes
> fuego-test
>

> root at linux-2030047407:/ <mailto:root at linux-2030047407:/> # ftc list-nodes
> Jenkins nodes in this system:
>

> One more doubt.
>
> Does the below work during install step?
>

> I removed the default container (fuego-container) and image (fuego) and
> tried the below:
>
>  ./install.sh --priv fuego-base-image-12thaug2019
>

> CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                             COMMAND                  CREATED
> STATUS                           PORTS               NAMES
> ce71c72cf9bf        fuego-base-image-12thaug2019      "/bin/sh -c 'service…"   6
> minutes ago       Exited (0) 38 seconds ago      fuego-base-image-12thaug2019-
> container
>

> So 'fuego-base-image-12thaug2019' and the corresponding 'fuego-base-
> image-12thaug2019-container' also created successfully.
>
> ftc list-boards, add-nodes, list-nodes etc. also works fine.
>

> One question.
>
> What if I want to give my own name to the container? Rename 'fuego-base-
> image-12thaug2019-container' is the only option?

./install.sh only lets you specify the image name, and it automatically
converts the image name into the container name by adding '-container'
as a suffix.

I haven't tried it myself, but I believe there should be no problem
renaming the container name once it is created.  So, doing something
like: docker rename fuego-base-image-12thaug2019-container simpler-name.

But you have to use that container name with ./start.sh.

> So to conclude, please check why 'jenkins' folder not created while cloning
> 'master' branch (v1.4.0).

I'm not sure what happened there.

> All looks fine the v1.5.0 so far. Only thing is please change the version to 1.5.0
> if 'next' branch is cloned.
>
> I will report any other issues I face in future in fuego v1.5.0
Thanks!
 -- Tim