[RFC] Use SMMU HTTU for DMA dirty page tracking

Tian, Kevin kevin.tian at intel.com
Wed May 27 03:27:45 UTC 2020

We plan to add such API later, e.g. to utilize A/D bit in VT-d 2nd-level
page tables (Rev 3.0).

> >> If SMMU can track dirty pages, devices are not required to implement
> >> additional dirty pages tracking to support VFIO live migration.
> >
> > It seems feasible, though tracking it in the device might be more
> > efficient. I might have misunderstood but I think for live migration of
> > the Intel NIC they trap guest accesses to the device and introspect its
> > state to figure out which pages it is accessing.

Does HTTU implement A/D-like mechanism in SMMU page tables, or just
report dirty pages in a log buffer? Either way tracking dirty pages in IOMMU
side is generic thus doesn't require device-specific tweak like in Intel NIC.

Thanks
kevin