[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] stable trees and pushy maintainers; cgroups interface; hid; depth of maintainers tree

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Jul 8 23:57:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 11:44:14PM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to attend Kernel Summit this year. Selection of the topics I'd
> consider worth discussing:
>
> (1) I am a responsible maintainer of kernels for all SUSE enterprise
>     products. As such, I am dealing with -stable trees on a regular
>     basis.
>
>     I am aware of the fact that -stable team is deferring a big part of the
>     responsibility to the patch authors / maintainers (and thus they are
>     mostly the ones to blame), and also of the fact that properly
>     defining -stable acceptance rules is a very hard task.
>
>     Still, my gut feeling is that some patches present in the -stable
>     release are obviously not a -stable material.
>
>     As a basis fo further discussion I can provide a few examples of
>     patches hat went into -stable, although they (?apparently?) should have
>     not, and they caused us headache.

I'd be interested in hearing about this now, as I never want to include
patches that break things or cause problems for distros, or anyone else
using the stable branches.  Care to take this to stable at vger.kernel.org
so that all of the people involved in the stable stuff can talk about
it?

Not to say that a in-person discussion about this isn't also a good
thing to have, I'd be up for that as well.

thanks,

greg k-h