[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] memcg topics, cgroups conversion to single agent, other MM stuff

Balbir Singh bsingharora at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 14:35:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Michal Hocko <mhocko at suse.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am one of the memory cgroups maintainer and am active also in general
> memory management area which is a expertize I can bring to the KS which
> I would like to attend this year.
>
> There are many topics to discuss on memcg front - e.g. a new
> lowlimit/reclaim_threshold knobs which would allow for guarantee of
> minimum memory kept for a group/hierarchy. We originally planned to
> provide similar functionality via an existing soft_limit knob but this
> has been shot down by Tejun because the interface wouldn't be clean
> enough.

Sorry, I've not kept up, but I definitely look forward to the summary
of the discussion and limitations of the interface

> I would also like to touch memcg dirty pages accounting and how to
> proceed with dirty memory throttling. First part is on a good way to get
> merged in a foreseeable future but the later one is rather complicated
> (do we want to have per group/hierarchy flusher threads?)

Ideally we need VM overcommit before doing dirty memory throttling.
Dirty memory throttling is important, ideally the per block device
throttlers need to be cgroup aware

> Other topic would be userspace global OOM handling. Google would like
> to reuse oom_control interface which we have for !root memcgs. The idea
> sounds natural but we should consider other options (allow to plug
> modules to handle OOM conditions or even allow a scriptable interface).
>
> I am also taking care of cgroups inside SUSE so I would be really
> interested in discussing future plans of cgroup unified hierarchy. While
> the idea sounds good in general, convergence to a single management tool
> which would hide cgroupfs sounds really intrusive and it has some
> potential to break our users' use cases. "It's all ours" claim by
> systemd just amplifies our worries.

Balbir Singh.