[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] initrd, staging tree, and multi-tree management

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Jul 12 15:14:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 05:09:30PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

 > > > * A topic that came to my mind is about initrd.  Although initrd is a
 > > > pretty fundamental thing for kernel, we don't touch this development
 > > > directly at all.  As a result, there are way different
 > > > implementations.  For distro POV, a unified "official" tool would make
 > > > a lot of sense.
 > > >
 > > > I remember Dave Jones once proposed it years back, and I'll try to
 > > > whip a dead horse, as the situation hasn't changed at all since then.
 > >
 > > Isn't dracut the answer here?  I thought just about all distros, except
 > > SuSE, were now using it?
 >
 > Maybe.  I need more researches.
 > It's mostly a distro issue, but still I'd like to hear what kernel
 > people think of it.

History went something like this..

"There should be a cross-distro initrd maker"
"YES! THERE SHOULD!"
"ok, here's a couple hundred lines of shell that just does really basic stuff
 that we can start working from"
"pfft, screw that, let's start with the [debian|suse|whoever] one"

This went on for a while, before I decided my energy was better spent
elsewhere, and handed over what is now dracut to Harald Hoyer & co who
turned it into what it is today.

	Dave