[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] Handling of devicetree bindings

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Jul 15 18:50:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 09:56 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> How about a hint for subsystem maintainers as to what exactly we should
> be looking for with these bindings?  I for one have no idea what is
> "right" vs. "wrong" with them, so a document explaining this would be
> good to have.
>
> Or if we already have it, a pointer to it perhaps?

The biggest thing is that it should describe the *hardware*, in a
fashion which is completely OS-agnostic.

The same device-tree binding should work for Solaris, *BSD, Windows,
eCos, and everything else.

I've heard tales of people having to keep device-tree files for their
board tightly in sync with the specific *version* of the Linux kernel
that they were shipped with.

That makes me very sad, because it almost certainly means that someone
has done it completely and utterly wrong.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation