[Ksummit-2013-discuss] KS Topic request: Handling the Stable kernel, let's dump the cc: stable tag

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Mon Jul 15 23:22:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 03:38:08PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 07/15/2013 03:07 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> >>
> >> In the case where a maintainer applies a patch with 'git am', surely
> >> they can *see* that it's cc:stable?
> >>
> > If that maintainer is careful, yes. But that isn't the point or idea. The
> > difference is that the maintainer would have to make an active decision
> > to add the cc:stable tag vs. just going along with it.
> >

> WTF?  If a maintainer applies a patch and misses that the thing had a
> Cc: <stable> tag, that maintainer should never have applied the patch in
> the first place.

I agree, _should_. But again, that is not the point I was trying to make.
The keyword is _active_ decision vs. passive acceptance of a stable tag.

If the stable tag is not added by the maintainer, it can always be added to
the stable queue after the code was pushed upstream. Nothing lost but a bit
of convenience.

Guenter