[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] Power-aware scheduling

Vincent Guittot vincent.guittot at linaro.org
Tue Jul 16 11:38:31 UTC 2013

Hi Preeti

On 16 July 2013 05:49, Preeti U Murthy <preeti at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi Morten,
>
> It would be good to list out the topics that we need to discuss.
>
> I would suggest some of the below points.
>
> 1. What about the relevance of the patches that were posted so far
> (Alex's and Vincent's and your big.LITTLE patches) in the light of
> integration of cpuidle, cpufreq and scheduler. How will their behaviour
> change?

Regarding the integration of cpufreq and cpuidle statistic into the
scheduler, there should be no much change the behaviour as the goal
stay the same (ie have better estimations). The next step is to
integration of some information from cpufreq and cpuidle for a better
scheduling decision like the flush of cache, the time to wake up a cpu
or the frequency scaling invariance of the load tracking.

> 2. What about unifying the different patches into one, considering they
> all want power savings. Is it that hard? Can't we extend Alex's patches
> to meet the goals of the other two?

There are probably good things to take in each patches and i have
explained my concern about Alex's patches in a previous mail :
https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/23/12

Vincent